Monday, December 8, 2008

MUSIC MONDAYS: PHILLY, ARCHIVES and XMAS

I was hoping to have my Best of the Year mix up for your downloading pleasure today, but I still have some finalizations to make. I discussed this mix with a man many know as "James" amongst other aliases. He predictably hates a lot of it. That's good. I know I'm on the right track then... But let's move onto things we can all agree about. The new Philly Soul box set "Love Train" is one for the ages. I swear I'm not just promoting this because I'm from Philly. I'll be the first to admit that "Love Train" is a terrible name for this retrospective. My complaints end there though. Unlike some past sets that omitted the contributions of Thom Bell (Delfonics, The Spinners) and instead focused on the brilliant career of Gamble and Huff, "Love Train" brings them all together, plus adds some third party 70's Philly gems like "Be Thankful For What You Got." Add a booklet of informative essays, interviews and photos and you've got the perfect holiday gift. Plus, Amazon has it for $30. That's $7.50 a disc! 71 Tracks in all. Come on now. Whatcha waiting for?

In other music news, Neil Young has delayed his archives again. After 20 years of waiting, what's another few months or years? But the timing comes a day after the release oh a 5 minute Archives preview and a day after a Neil-insider hosted a chat about how great they'll be. So whet the appetite but replace the steak with a brick. Yum. One day perhaps, one day. By then maybe I'll have money to actually afford it...

...And now to get relevant about the season, a word on Christmas music. I'm of mixed emotions when it comes to Christmas music. It's not because I'm Jewish and think Jesus shouldn't be celebrated. Never. I just don't like how every radio station is taken over! That said, I am a bit fan of melancholy renditions of the minor key carols. Actually, I love all Christmas songs if I'm on the East Coast, and it's snowing. Or maybe just in a city. Department store windows and all that. Ah, Christmas cheer. Hot Cocoa and snowmen. All the classics. You miss a ton of that in California. Palm trees and Christmas just don't work. Sigh, I miss snow.

No comments: