Wednesday, December 17, 2008

WAGONWHEEL WEDNESDAYS: NEW HAMPSHIRE

New Hampshire is state where I have done plenty of fun things but have spent very little time. Actually almost all of my hours in New Hampshire have been after the sun has gone down. I visited the lovely town of Keene a couple of times in the daylight, but other than that, everything has either been a late night drive on route somewhere else or a concert.

I remember driving through New Hampshire on my way to Vermont thinking that Dover was the biggest city in the state. Back then I assumed like many people do that Capital cities are big. So not having heard of any other cities in New Hampshire, I just thought Dover was the largest. So imagine my surprise when on a drive I see something that almost looks like a real city even though I'm a good 50 miles from Dover. Turns out that New Hampshire has an almost-city called Manchester. Apparently it's a vaguely famous place for no other reason than it's New Hampshire's biggest city. It's no New York, but at 108,000 people it ranks as the largest city in "Northern New England" and the 9th biggest in all of New England! Okay, so it's not much. But it's more than I thought New Hampshire had.

I actually went into the city limits of Manchester once for a Neil Young concert. It's sort of lame. Strike that... really lame. I would never live there. I'd rather live in a "scary" city like Camden or Detroit than in Manchester. At least there would be some quality parties in the hood.

Other than Manchester, I went to the even shittier beach town of "Portsmouth" to see Ween. The concert was great (if you like Ween at least) but the town was really awful. It was like the Jersey shore but populated by people who consider Manchester to be a major city. Okay, maybe some of them have been to Boston too. Regardless, the place sucked.

I'd like to actually see more of the natural beauty NH has to offer, such as the storied "Old Man of the Mountain." But the "Old Man" fell down a few years back and it's not quite the same anymore. I'm sure they still have some sparkling streams and jagged peaks to entice me.



No comments: