Monday, January 5, 2009

MUSIC MONDAYS: BACK IN TOWN!

I'm back in town! My trip was wonderful. CD's are so cheap in Buenos Aires. Records are pretty cheap too. I mostly bought Bee Gees albums that are out of print in America for anywhere from 5-9 dollars. I really love the Bee Gees (pre-disco and post-disco). It's really two bands. The sound is just completely different. People make fun of the disco Bee Gees often. Easy targets I guess. Three white guys dressed in white singing high. Plus they're brothers. Siblings make great targets... But if anything, disco Bee Gees is more timeless. "Nights on Broadway" still sounds fresh today! Late 60's Bee Gees on the other hand can often come off as quite dated. It's even easier to make fun of the romantic folk-pop era Bee Gees than the "Saturday Night Fever" era. But for the most part, despite being overly earnest at times, albums like "1st," "Horizontal" and "Trafalgar" toe the line pretty well. Their undisputed masterpiece, at least of pre-disco Bee Gees, is "Odessa." It's finally being re-released in lavish 3-disc form next week! I'm already waiting for the package.

My other latest obsession is Eddie Kendricks. I've always loved David Ruffin (the other Temptations lead-vocalist if you haven't heard) but for some reason never paid much attention to Kendricks. I didn't know one way or another. Simply no opinion. But oh me, oh motherfucking my. His sweet falsetto is Curtis-good. Just heartbreaking shit.

Just listen



Damn.

Has to be the best song I've ever heard about losing your love. I assume from the lyrics that Johnny Mae died, but maybe she just left. Either way, the result is the same. She's dead to him.

Here's one more for good measure... This one makes me just wanna throw my hands in the air and testify. Good Lord. I'm a Jew and this song isn't religious at all but you can feel the church in there. If you know gospel, you know what I mean. (Side note, sampled by Kanye on Lil Wayne's "Let the Beat Build")

No comments: