Monday, January 26, 2009

MUSIC MONDAYS... AND I'M BACK

I traveled hours and waited in lines, nearly suffocating ten times on the metro, inches from falling on the third rail, all to see Aretha Franklin perform at the Capitol. Too bad she only got one song. They had to move things along for some other guy. Oh well. It was worth the wait.

Now I'm back!

After DC, I spent far too much money in New York on records. The funny thing is that I was really close to spending no money on records. The first several shops I went into were mostly underwhelming. And then I bought one album. And the rest was downhill. The good thing at least is that unlike jewelry or shoes, rare records are mostly affordable. Yes, there are albums that go for thousands but none on my wish list are nearly that high. As far as shopping addictions go, this one is mostly manageable. Of course, I'll have no job in two weeks and then I'll be forced to sell my stuffed owl Huggie into slavery. Sorry adorable bird, times are rough.

In other music news, Neil Young - the closet thing I have to an idol- has officially pissed me off. For those who think Chinese Democracy's delays were terrible, consider the history of Neil Young's archives. First promised in the eighties (or maybe even the seventies), it has now had about fifteen release dates come and go. In that time it has grown from a six CD set to a 10 Blu-Ray set. I even have the thing pre-ordered on Amazon, although it's just been announced that Neil has delayed the release yet again... For a new album of songs... about eco-friendly cars. Already he has released this video for the title track... I love Neil and I love that he does whatever the fuck he wants and that you have to deal with this kind of shit to get the gems, but oh man... I admit, I actually kind of like the song and video as guilty pleasures. But come on now. Seriously. I WANT MY ARCHIVES



One more thing, get the new Animal Collective. Hype that's matched by super quality.

No comments: