Tuesday, January 6, 2009

TOPICAL TUESDAYS: PROTESTS

As a Jew, I have some natural allegiance to Israel. But as someone who cares about suffering, I have some natural allegiance to Palestinians. The more I learn, the more obvious it is that the problems in the Middle East can't be blamed on any one group of people. These are ancient historical problem as well as recent historical problems. The legacy of war and past atrocities have tainted the whole conversation. Here's what I have realized though. As I watch cops walking down the street to keep the protests in line, it's become clear: the Israeli government and Hamas both suck.

I don't see how Hamas' firing of rockets does anything to help the Palestinian people. Obviously they know Israel will go crazy. I guess they do it precicesly for that reason. They know what will happen and they hope they can get worldwide sympathy from Israel over reacting. Which is what always happens. Yes, Israel should defend itself. As a small country, as a Jewish homeland amidst hostile Muslim neighbors, it can't come off as weak. But the machismo of the recent attacks and this whole "shock and awe" mentality does abolutely nothing. You'll never kill all the militants.

That's my two cents. Most of my parents' Zionist friends would tie me to a pole, cover me in honey and unleash a swarm of bees on me for even saying a negative word about Israel. But that's the problem. Just look at all the various Mid-East players' reaction to Obama. It's either you support bombing the shit out of Gaza or you support Hamas. Black and fucking white has gotten us nowhere.

Meanwhile, Obama's senate seat is a mess and they're calling him and his allies "racist" for blocking Burris even though his appointment was designed just to put everyone in this predicament in the first place. All this CONTROVERSY and the man hasn't even been sworn in yet.

Speaking of which, I'll be there. They say it'll be the largest gathering in US history. History1 I'm equally terrified and exhilerated. You know me and large crowds.

Now it's time to try to make it home in the protest traffic. The helicopter is out...

No comments: