Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WAGONWHEEL WEDNESDAYS: NEW YORK

Our wheels have finally landed on another massively huge state. I had to make a choice here: create a second post for New York City or just gloss over it. I've decided on the latter, mainly because New York should be saved for Subwaywheel Sundays or something, right? It's not really in the spirit of Wagonwheel. Plus, Philly's so close to New York. I don't know why that matters but I've just been there so many times that it doesn't feel right. I decide Wagonwheel rules, so that's where we'll stand. If you've got a problem, start your own Wagonwheel Wednesdays. Of course, I will sue you for copyright infringement but whatever, small price to pay for being stubborn... So yes, no full NYC report. I'll summarize Gotham with a quick overrated/underrated list

OVERRATED: The Yankees, Times Square, Midtown, Parts of Brooklyn, Kim's Video (sorry, I have Amoeba).

UNDERRATED: Other Parts of Brooklyn, Pizza and Bagels (yes, they're that good), Harlem (real Harlem, not Columbia Harlem).

New York understandably takes the shine away from the rest of the state to the point that anything forty minutes north of New York is considered "upstate." I've had the pleasure of visiting most regions of New York, so I'll be the first to say that NYC should change it's name. Or just become five separate cities again. Enough with the population inflation.

So let's say you're adventurous and want to explore beyond city limits, here's what I can recommend

-THE CATSKILLS

As seen in Dirty Dancing, these small mountains once held bustling summer retreats for families such as mine. They still exist as structure, but they bustle little in 2009. I had the pleasure of going to the famous Kutcher's and Raleigh hotels for the ATP festival last year. It's a horribly dated dusty place but if you're there for a good reason (family reunion, concert, etc) the Shining-ness of it all is actually somewhat endearing.

-BUFFALO/NIAGARA FALLS

In the NW region of the state lies a small city that has caused confusion amongst foodies and sports fans for years (if the team name is Bills, why is the logo a Buffalo?) The winters are so miserable that residents could only afford to heat themselves up with hot sauce. And so the "Buffalo wing" was born. Started at a place called The Anchor Bar, the buffalo wing has gone on to confuse everyone from Jessica Simpson to your three year-old son. No, it's not called a "buffalo wing" because it comes from or looks like or is fed to buffaloes. The city's called Buffalo and they made some fuckin brilliant wing sauce one day and like any good city named the food after themselves. Just like a cheesesteak outside of Philly isn't really a cheese steak, a wing outside of Buffalo ain't shit. I knew someone from Buffalo who recommended a place called Duff's to me. Oh my. So DAMN GOOOOOOOD. And now I recommend it to you.

About 45 minutes up the road is the very Niagara Falls you read about as a child. Except they sort of suck from the American side. Unless you have immigration problems, make the trek over the border. You won't be sorry. I haven't been to Iguazu or other WORLD FAMOUS falls, but this beast can roar pretty loud.

-FROM BUFFALO TO ALBANY

I don't really know. Rochester and Syracuse are both on this path but I did the drive at night. I stopped at Roy Rogers at a rest stop and had the worst cup of coffee I've ever had in my life.

-THE HUDSON RIVER VALLEY

Oh what a river. You know you're a rather kickass region if a famous American school of painting is named after you. The drive from NYC to the region is just lovely. Shockingly you see a lot of the Hudson river. If you have a couple days to kill, it's the perfect spring or autumn getaway. Hey, maybe you'll get inspired to do this:



-LAKE GEORGE

Not really sure about this place. I went for a few days with my camp 14 years ago. I remember a lot of stands selling Beavis and Butthead shirts. Felt like the Jersey Shore.

-LONG ISLAND

Here's a secret. The "island" of Long Island is the same "island" of Brooklyn and Queens. It's all one island. I used to come here every summer with my parents to visit our friends in the Hamptons. Then one summer his daughter gave me a beer. And another. And another. I believe by the time all was said and done, I had consumed ten beers and also had a screwdriver. I woke up in my vomit. I may've had sex with a dog named Lacey. I don't remember. Anything's possible. The next morning I told my mother that it was all from the little wine I had at dinner. I blamed it on my weak tolerance. She didn't believe me. Rightfully so.

And thus concludes New York.

Here's the detailed picture

No comments: