Wednesday, January 14, 2009

WAGONWHEEL WEDNESDAYS: NEW MEXICO

It's been awhile since we rode the wagon across the US. Today we're back with one of my favorite states: New Mexico! Known as one of the "Four Corners" and also for being the sequel to the country of Mexico, New Mexico has several charms. From the epic thunderstorms at dusk to the bluest skies you've ever seen at most other times, New Mexico is a place for lovers, dreamers and those who just like to stroll. It's also the sight of my first encounter with anti-Semitism. I was at a Santa Fe crafts fair and this white lady was selling some fake Indian shit. I say that mainly because there are plenty of real Hopi Indians (amongst other tribes) selling genuine crafts in Santa Fe. I wanted this ceramic bull she was selling for 5 bucks. 5 seemed a bit steep for me. After all I was about 8 with a meager allowance.

"I'll give you 3," I said.

My dad walked over and the merchant quickly brought up my bargaining, telling my dad "that boy Jewed me down."

Oh good times.

Honestly, New Mexico is great. It doesn't have as much beauty as say Utah, but it has a similarly rugged landscape. Not quite desert, but close. High desert they may call certain areas. The people are much nicer too (minus that one woman). Santa Fe is a great little town and the food... oh my the food. RED or GREEN is the question they'll ask you. This refers to chili sauce of course. The fajitas are damn astounding. There aren't that many states that serve straight up Southwestern food. Most are more on the Mexican or Barbecue side of the fence. But if you like blue corn enchiladas, then this is the state for you!

I need to go back to visit the famous White Sands National Monument. I've been to or through New Mexico about four or five times and I've almost gone to White Sands almost every time but I keep missing it. Damn it! The problem is that it's a bit out of the way. This year I'll go. I must! I must! Just look at this!!!



Just stunning.

Well here's where I have been. Albuquerque. Santa Fe. Taos. The place where they set off some nukes (I think that's near White Sands, so I must've been close...)

Oh nevermind... it was Los Alamos. Totally opposite directoin.

Wow look at this map of my travels. Funny pattern. Looks sort of like a person bending over.

1 comment:

LD said...

your wagon is rolling so close to Oregon, I can almost taste it. Just a couple more weeks!