Friday, May 16, 2008

Friendly Fridays: SESAME!

No this isn't a post about sesame seeds, which are another love of mine. We're talking about the street. Sesame Street. Kids still watch this show and love it and learn and that's beautiful, but for the most part, this jumped the shark awhile ago. In fact, from what I read, I may've been part of the last generation that grew up on the real Sesame Street. For the purists, it all went downhill after Snuffie became visible to humans. The story goes, as kidnappings increased, and scary movie-of-the-weeks about kidnappings increased, for the first time in history, it became important to trust your child. For parents the choice was simple: either believe that there's a man with a gun outside the window, or lose the baby forever. But on Sesame, Big Bird kept claiming that he saw this weird Woolly Mammoth type character and everyone made fun of him. Not exactly the best example for a child.

Soon after that, Elmo became huge. I remember when Elmo was a miscellaneous Muppet thrown into parade scenes and the like to make Sesame Street look like a super populate metropolis of Muppets. If you watch Lost, Elmo was like the extra survivors that hang around but never say anything. And now look, Elmo's bigger than Matthew Fox. Travesty. Yeah sure, Elmo's really cute, but he's taken over everything. He's now a bona fide Muppet Dictator, subjugating the Little Birds, the Barkley the Dogs, the Guy Smileys to fringes of Sesame Street memory. You don't see them on the show anymore but I bet if you visited Sesame Street all these forgotten characters would be holed up in a project tower somewhere turning tricks for just one more hit of that shit.

But I digress. This isn't Thoughtful Thursdays, this is Friendly Fridays and let's be friendly about it. I want to share with you two Sesame related items.

1. R2 on Sesame

Jen loves R2D2 so much. I've also liked him a lot too, but she really really loves the little robot. I've often gotten her R2 related items for gifts (like an R2D2 light, an actual mini working R2D2 drone, that kinda stuff). So the other day I looked up R2 on wikipedia. I found out tons of great tidbits that I'll share on another Friendly Friday, but I'll let you in on one forgotten secret now. R2D2 and C3PO were on Sesame Street in 1978! I looked at my Old School Sesame Street DVDs to see if any of their clips were on there but I should've known better. George Lucas would never allow that now. Luckily YouTube gets away with a lot. So behold. The incredible comedy team of R2D2 and C3PO... on Sesame Street!



If you scroll down the comments, one person said that he used to think R2D2 and C3PO were Sesame Street characters! Amazing.

2. The Count There's this great contest going on right now where they ask people to extend the rest of an album cover scene. Like lets say the cover was just a small bit of a larger scene. A lot of them are really bad, be warned. But the people that can actually use photoshop and have some creativity, made some fun ones. Check out the Sesame Related... "Beatles 1"




Now opening up the forum... Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Jen hates Sesame Street, so she probably won't say anything. Oh wait, no she likes Ernie. That's fair. I used to not love Ernie and Bert but then I got the old school Sesame Street DVDs and these guys rule. The one where Ernie takes Bert's nose... let me see if I can find it



Elmo CAN NOT compete with that

2 comments:

jen. said...

i like ernie because michael has these little bert and ernie dolls. like REALLY little plushies and i used to squeeze their faces and ermie looked so funny and cute. and i like his voice.

Rasputin1981 said...

I bet "Ermie" would appreciate that you like him