Tuesday, May 27, 2008

TOPICAL TUESDAYS

And first... a quick Musical Monday update since I was taking the day off to honor our veterans. What better way to pay tribute than gallivanting through Burbank looking for various record stores that have managed to stay open despite the recent trend of record-store closings. I found a couple decent places. Nowhere that I'd spend tons of time (unlike this little hole in the wall palace I found in Hollywood that has EVERYTHING, albeit at very high prices). One place in Eagle Rock- Ed's I think it's called- stayed open just for me. How kind. I was all prepared to buy something cheap just because Ed stayed open. That is until I discovered that the Soul/R&B section was simply entitled "Black." Come on now. Just cause they were called Race Records back in the day doesn't mean you have to keep up with that tradition. Good lord. Wake up Ed, wake up.

And now onto the topics of the day. Well let's touch on a Friday topic that kept the interwaves abuzz. Hillary said that she should stay in the race because Obama could potentially be assassinated. Or something that greatly implied this. While we may all think as much, for her to say it is mind blowing. Then the Clintons decided to blame Obama and his crew. Like what if we all blamed Hillary for Monica. Even though that would be more apt. It's not Obama's fault that racist fucks may not want him to be president. It is Hillary's fault that she drove Bill from her lips to the lips of a stunning knockout like Monica. She isn't exactly a warm person. I shouldn't blame her entirely. Bill woulda probably fucked around no matter how great his wife was. But with someone as low as Monica? That's all vendetta. As if to say to Hillary "I hate you so much I'll fuck around with anyone. I'll almost lose this presidency over anyone. That's just how much I hate you, Hillary."

But enough about the past. We're onto new days here. New times for men and women alike to rejoice and coalesce to form a grand unity. Or some blah blah blah like that. I can't find anything of note in the news. Sure there's always something of note, but nothing that needs a Rasputin spin on it. So why don't I pontificate on my name for a minute? I'm a Jew who has adopted the name of the not exactly Pro-Semitic Rasputin. First, please note this is an alias, which I adopted as an emcee name back when I wore valour, baggy clothes, and cornrows. It's a caricature of a man most known for the fact that they couldn't kill him. It's a fun sounding word, a bit like Rapunzel or Rumpelstiltskin... Fine I'll be honest. I knew Rasputin was a crazy looking mad man and I used to smoke a lot of weed and it seemed like a good name for a crazy Jewish rapper. Then I stopped rapping but needed some online user names, so I kept with the Rasputin theme. Now I found out he hated Jews. If I just abandon my persona, Rasputin would be winning. So I will take his name and I will make it a Jewish name. Like Black people taking back the N word or women taking back the C word.... *Sigh* I'll stop digging myself in the hole, I promise.

No comments: