Friday, May 2, 2008

FRIENDLY FRIDAYS: SOMEBODY HATES GOOMBA

As you may know from my old blog that's linked on this page, I love the Goomba. He has all the attitude of a diva but the humbility of a day-player. Goomba is always around, but like I've said before, he's like the pigs at the San Diego Zoo. Not sure if you've been to the San Diego Zoo, but anywhere there's empty space at the zoo, they stick a sub species of pig. Same thing with Goomba in the Mario games. If they have no better enemies, they'll stick a Goomba or a paragoomba in there. Goomba ribs. Yum.

Only once though has Goomba really taken center stage as a playable character (Mario Superstar Baseball). I thought maybe it would be different with the new Mario Kart. After all, there's something like 12 unlockable characters. At first I wanted to be surprised and discover the new characters as I unlocked them. But then I cheated and did the Wikipedia thing. No Goomba. I should've known right away because some levels have Goombas walking around as obstacles. It would be a bit unfair to have an obstacle that's also a driver. For one it would support Goombacide. What's more, it could be seen as an unfair advantage if the Goombas messed with other driver's cars but never touched Goomba's car. Still. Some of the characters they have instead of Goomba are absurd. It seems like there's like Baby versions of all the characters. I love babies, but do we really need a Baby Daisy? And then there's Funky Kong? It's awful. A travesty beyond tragic. A calamity of disastrous proportions. An abomination of despicable viscera.

Look at this guy. He's as lovable as Nintendo gets.

No comments: