Monday, November 10, 2008

MUSIC MONDAYS: BRILLIANT IDEA ALERT

So it's official. No Top 10 list this year. No way. First, it's too hard to rank albums, let alone pick a certain number. Second, unless you're Pitchfork, no one is going to read your list and then buy the albums. We're busy! That said, I can't go another year without letting the world know my opinion. So this year I'm going to go through all my favorite albums of the years and pick a song from each and compile a mix for your downloading pleasure. That way everyone wins. Plus, you get to see my mix-making skills. All quality reasons... But that's not for a couple weeks.

Other music items of note:

*The new releases have mostly dried up. I don't think I have anything on my upcoming purchase list other than live albums, remasters, box sets, etc.

*As far as sensitive, overly earnest music goes, Cat Stevens is up there. I just purchased the Deluxe Editions of his two "classic" albums TEA FOR THE TILLERMAN and TEASER AND THE FIRECAT. Both are great. Really natural, detailed remastering for the most part. A couple songs seem to have been remastered by a different person because they're a bit flat. Lots of demos and live versions of songs too. My new favorite Cat Stevens song is "Hard-Headed Woman." Damn his facial expressions are EMO



*"Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" is a really great name for an album. Even if you don't like the Dead Kennedy's or punk.

*I really think it's about time for the French Horn to make a comeback. It's a great looking instrument.

*Here's my current Bob Dylan obsession. Don't mind the odd visuals.



And here's Nico's more famous version



And how about Marianne Faithfull's while we're at it (which sounds a lot more like Dylan's)

No comments: