Wednesday, November 19, 2008

WAGONWHEEL WEDNESDAYS: NEBRASKA

Nebraska was shaping up to be another "cheat" state like Iowa. There was nothing I wanted to see there, so I merely made sure my route from South Dakota to Wyoming included a little Nebraska run (you can see this represented by the black line in the NW corner of the map below). Then, a month later, as I was preparing to head back east, I saw a report about the BIND-TORTURE-KILL Killer being back on the loose in Kansas. This prompted me to rethink my route (remember Kansas is also the place where I stayed at a Day's Inn that had blood on the shower curtain). I sadly had to give up going to White Sands National Monument, but in its place we went to a few Utah parks that I hadn't been to... Most importantly, the new route took me straight Nebraska!

Beyond that there's almost nothing to say. I stayed in Lincoln. It was cooler than you might imagine. I immediately found a splendid record store that had some Neil Young bootlegs... For dinner I went to some place in what appeared to be a "hip" section of town but the night was extremely foggy so that may've positively affected the vibe I got.

Damn... this one's short. What can I say? Nebraska is landlocked. It produced Bright Eyes. Just imagine Conor's ear-drum shattering whine and you'll get a sense of just how fun it must be to grow up in Nebraska. If that's your thing, you'll love it. Western Nebraska has some picturesque rolling hills but it's mostly flat... Ooh my, Nebraska's tourism desk will definitely be knocking down my door.

Sorry. I just have nothing more to add to the discussion.

No comments: