Wednesday, November 5, 2008

WAGONWHEEL WEDNESDAYS: MISSOURI

And we're back with a Black President Elect in tow. Oh hell yes. No thanks to this "bell weather" state. It was very close but apparently the "show-me state" had more people who thought that lying, cheating, two-faced McCain was putting forth the goods. 6,000 or less people on the other hand went with Obama, knowing full well that the only thing McCain showed throughout this campaign was his hand, as it turned out was nothing more than a pair of 7's at best.

Enough about politics... actually first let me go..... OBAMA WINS!!!! HELL FUCKING YES YES YES YES.... As you may have noticed, there was no Topical Tuesday yesterday. I thought the day spoke for itself. So I posted nothing.

Now, no more about politics for today.

Other than too many Repubs, what does Missouri have to offer? There's the fine city of St. Louis, known for its Cardinals and Nelly. And that arch too. You know that thing is fucking huge? Way bigger in person than I ever imagined. You can actually take a ride inside the arch to the top. Too expensive for me to try but I love that that's even possible. My friend visited St. Louis once and he must've been really really high because he kept telling me how great the "archeS" were. Beyond the arch, St. Louis seemed a bit drab... Sorry Dan.

Missouri's other major city "Kansas City" is a massive shit hole. It's only redeeming value is that it has some really unbelievable barbecue. Oh my. Kansas City barbecue is THE SHIT. Maybe the best region for it in the country. My North Carolina friends would disagree and that's fine. But really, NC BBQ and KC BBQ are so so different that you can enjoy both without having to get all boasty about one or the other. Man I miss real barbecue. We never had it in Philly but I got spoiled by my travels around the country.

Other than BBQ, Kansas City is depressing and dangerous. The Royals are perhaps the shittiest franchise in sports. Not historically but in recent memory, pretty much constantly losing since 1995. The Chiefs are awful this year too. And you know what else sucks about KC? The city is named for a different state (which is also unfortunate for Kansas City, Kansas since they have the namesake but none of the shitty sports teams or the glory... actually, maybe it's better to be Kansas City, Kansas).

Kansas City is also notable as the place where I got off the train after learning that my dad had torn his kneecap from his knee.

The rest of Missouri is somewhat scenic, with rolling hills and farms. It's a pretty varied state, part Southern (they have some THICK accent in Joplin, MO) and part Midwestern. I even visited an impressive cave near Springfield, Missouri.

It's got a pretty great shape too.

No comments: