Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TOPICAL TUESDAYS: SHARED OFFICE, OBAMA and ERACISM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... My boss just said that starting in January I will have to share an office with him for six weeks because editors need to set up shop in my office. That's horrifying. I wasn't even planning on being at this company after December. But then the stock market tanked. Now I may as well stay. It's not like I can even resort to eating rats since LA is pretty rat-free. Maybe I can eat coyotes... But sharing an office with him? Oh that's terrible.

Let's get to the topic of the day. Now that Obama has won, I don't have much to do to distract me. I still check the various blogs but it's just not that exciting reading about Bush hosting the Obamas. And when I read the more conservative blogs, I just get mad about them talking shit about Obama before he's even been sworn in.

Will I be the sort of blind Obama supporter that worships my president? Probably not. But here's what I'm wondering... It's illegal to threaten to kill the president. But racist cops threaten Black men all the time. So who wins? Racism or the president? Let's run with this for a second. Now that a Black man (but wait... Obama's mom is white! Hey... check this out if you still need a WHY....ONE DROP RULE) will be president, what can we expect to change, if anything race-wise? Of course racism won't go away. If anything people will use Obama as an excuse to be more racist. Like a white real estate agent not showing a Black couple a house and then responding to the racism charge with "but our President's Black. The US isn't racist!"

But let's focus on what Alex wants to see change in terms of race relations.

-National coverage for every missing Black child or Black pregnant woman even if they aren't related to an Oscar winning actress. (Or conversely no more coverage for the Laci Peterson's of the world).

-Black actors other than Denzel, T. Howard, D. Cheadle, or Tyler Perry getting roles written for them.

-More interracial bands like Sly and the Family Stone

-More Black hockey players, more European baseball players, more Asian football players, more Dwarf basketball players (oh man... do they have dwarf leagues with no one over 5 foot allowed. That would be amazing).

-No more non-violent drug offenders in prison

Oh that's good for now I guess.

No comments: