Monday, September 8, 2008

MUSIC MONDAYS: OASIS SUCKS

I'm currently re-listening to all of Oasis' albums. Growing up, "Definitely Maybe" was always my favorite. Upon second review, I have to begrudgingly admit that "What's the Story Morning Glory" is better. I guess you can say Morning Glory is Obama and Definitely Maybe is Hillary Clinton. Clinton came first but Obama had more mass appeal. He's a brilliant pop song of a politician... Also, the difference between the two album/politicians are small in comparison to the Republican albums (or if you stick with this thesis, the later Oasis albums). "Be Here Now" is very different than its predecessors. Simply put, it's terrible. I remember when that came out, I had stopped caring at all about Oasis. I was always more of a Blur person anyway. Well actually I liked Oasis until I heard Blur. Then I stopped liking Oasis. Now I can see the benefits of both bands.

If anything "Be Here Now" has gotten worse with age. It's so awful. The production is complete adult contemporary, MOR shit. The songs suck. There is no grit at all. The ballads on this album are perhaps the reason James Blunt exists. So "Be Here Now" is McCain. Post "Be Here Now" is probably worse, but I haven't listened yet. Like Oasis, if we allow McCain to exist in office, his even shittier spawn (ahem, Sarah Palin) will keep wasting everyone's time forever and ever and ever. Just so people know, my girlfriend J. Murse has every single Oasis album. That means a full decade of sticking with them after they ceased to be good. Jeeze. If anything, I guess that means I can start being a shitty boyfriend and she'll stick around. Like really shitty. If you equate "Be Here Now" to boyfriend behavior that would be like cheating every day of the week. Yes "Be Here Now" is that bad. HA oh HA. Don't worry, I'm not even capable of being anything less than the Milky Way galaxy's BEST BOYFRIEND.

Now onto another topic. The new TV on The Radio Album is great. Actually I haven't listened to it all but I like what I've heard so far. Despite what Mr. James Cobo says, I don't think the band peaked with their first EP. While "Young Liars" may be pound for pound the best, they've certainly grown and expanded as a band, though the first album is a bit of a step backwards from "Young Liars" (I still think "Desperate Youth" is a solid album for the record). See if Mr. Cobo would take up my offer to start a Siskel & Ebert YouTube show reviewing albums, you could see us debate this idea of "peaking immediately" idea. Otherwise, you'll have to just imagine the entertaining back-and-forth between two extremely opinionated music addicts.

No comments: