Wednesday, September 3, 2008

WAGONWHEEL WEDNESDAYS: LOUISIANA

Damn, today's Wagonwheel could be a Topical, what with Gustav and all. Good thing we don't have another Katrina on our hands. Louisiana is so tied in my mind to that disaster that I have a hard time thinking about the state independent of that. But let me try.

I've been in humid climates before. From growing up in Philly to spending a couple July's and Augusts in Florida and North Carolina, I know what it's like to walk through a gigantic steam room. A schvitz as my ancestors would say. But damn, oh damn, when I got out of my car, my glasses immediately fogged up! I wiped them clean and they fogged right up again! For real, I used to think it was nuts how Britney's excuse for wearing slutty clothing was the heat in Louisiana. But she has a point!! If I grew up in Louisiana, I'd dress like a ho too. (For the record, I'm really tired of typing Louisiana fully. One, because it's an annoying to spell. Two, it has a lot of letters. Going forward I will say LA. Please realize I'm referring to Louisiana, NOT Los Angeles. Cool?)

I haven't done much in LA except visit New Orleans. And I haven't done much in New Orleans other than the French Quarter. Lame tourist Alex, I know. Here's what I can say: Mr. B's has the best shrimp I've ever had, the alligator sausage is damn tasty and the beignets and coffee are top notch. Architecture? Wonderful too. Other than that? LA's a conservative place, but I dig the swamp vibe. I'd never want to live down there, but I'd totally buy a videogame that took place there. It's a romantic place in my mind. A land where you're both free enough to loot but shackled enough to get stranded.

Shit, I'm poetic.

No comments: