Wednesday, September 10, 2008

WAGONWHEEL WEDNESDAYS: MAINE

Now here's a state I need to return to. I believe the only time I've been to Maine was when I went to visit my sister at her Jappy all-girls camp. That would mean that Maine may be the only state that I've been to WITHOUT my car. We had a rental car, but that didn't count because I was too young to drive it. So Maine is it....Wait wait, let me think about this... Oh I've never had my car in Florida, but I rented a car that I drove in Florida, so that's a bit better. I think that's it.

There's very little that I can say about Maine, because I visited there before I started caring much about states. I want to return to see Acadia National Park. The pictures and word-of-mouth are fantastic. But enough of that. This isn't Wishful Wednesdays.

I actually spent nearly all my time in Maine at all-girls camps. First I visited my sister's camp. Then the next day I visited my friends' all-girl camp. Who knows which camp was better or which camp had the cooler girls. At the time, I was 13 probably, so anything having to do with my sister was clearly inferior. Plus, I wanted to hook up with my friends (twin sisters... you know how that is). Of course, being the nerdy scrawny boy I was, I didn't hook up with them or anyone at that camp.

In retrospect, I'm sure the two camps were virtually identical. They both sang horrible songs. Oh man, the car rides I had to endure where my sister would sing camp songs for three hours, gesticulating wildly with her hands (they call it something...some official camp lingo... "leading" maybe?). MEMO TO CAMP DIRECTORS NATIONWIDE: Classic Beatles songs should never be replaced with words about trees, canoes or wooden bunks.

We stayed at a B&B, which usually isn't my style (I'd rather have my own bathroom at a Motel 6 than share a bathroom with eight people in a creepy house full of "gorgeous" antiques). But I will admit that the place had a great restaurant where I had these delicious pop-overs with strawberry butter. Oooh one of those sounds great right about now. You know what else is great about Maine? Lobster. My sister's camp had a lobster night every year. They fished lobster out of the lake and ate them. That's how my sister found out she was allergic to lobster. Poor girl. The McDonalds in Maine even have lobster. Or so they say. It's probably just Big Mac meat painted pink.

I'm now realizing that I have no idea where to mark on my map of Maine. I'll need to research this camp. I know we flew into Portland (funny how two states' biggest cities have the same name, right?) and then drove... Let me look up the camp... Oh no, I found their website. You can hear the singing for yourself!!

So based on my research, this is where I THINK I've been in Maine

No comments: