Monday, October 6, 2008

MAINSTREAM MUSIC MONDAYS: BEST AND WORST

I used to be one of those guys who stopped liking a band the minute the band became popular. The twisted thing is that I really wanted the small indie bands I loved to get major MTV recognition. But then if they did, I usually stopped liking them. Damned if you do, right?

Now I've gotten a point where I can ignore all the terrible habits of mainstream music- the windchimes and auto-tune vocals and all that. I can never enjoy modern pop music on the same level that I enjoy more "pure" back-to-the-basics contemporary music or on the level I enjoy classic pop music, but I have at least developed X-Ray ears that can hear through the fluff prepared for mass consumption.

It is what that framework that I present to you the best and worst current mainstream pop singles.

BEST MPS (Mainstream Pop Single)

Ne-Yo- Closer

I gotta say, his whole "Year of the Gentleman" album is pretty phenomenal in all its M. Jackson aping glory. Sure it's schmaltzy at times but Mr. Yo has a way with melody. Plus, you have to give him credit for writing all his own songs. "Closer" is a great club jam that'll stay in your head all day. Ne-Yo came into my office once a year ago or so and he's quite a nice man. According to his Wikipedia page, he's half Chinese. Doesn't really look it. But then again there's also plenty of rumors about Ne-Yo being gay. Who really cares about either. Let the man be gay and half-Chinese, I say.

Check out the video



WORST MPS SINGLE

Kid Rock- All Summer Long

This song is huuuuuuuuuuuge. Really gigantic. The biggest Kid Rock single of all time. In fact, it's been number one in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, UK, Holland, and Australia. It's also charted on Billboard's Rock, Pop, Adult Contemporary and Country Charts. So the song must be great, right? Oh hell no. It's really terrible. It's just fine as background music or the soundtrack to some car commercial, but is it worthy of taking over the world? The riff isn't even his own. But enough of my opinion. You be the judge.



I guess the Dutch like to cruise around in speed boats, or at least enjoy the glorious American summers vicariously.

No comments: