Wednesday, October 22, 2008

WAGONWHEEL WEDNESDAYS: MISSISSIPPI

What's got four eyes but can't see? If you answered a blind quad-clops, you're wrong. The answer is of course Mississippi.

Three cheers for the Deep South! Here's another state I mostly drove the hell through because of my Southern prejudices. I got out of the car once, at a mall in Meridian, Mississippi. Eerily, three days later a disgruntled worker at some business establishment in Meridian shot up the entire office floor, killing six. Good thing it wasn't a McDonald's worker at the mall or I might've been shot.

I can't say much about the cities or scenic drives of Mississippi since I remained on the highway the whole time. The state has no mountains that I can rave about, no geothermic fields or canyons. Not really much that's noticeable from the road. I saw some pleasant trees.

Perhaps what I remember most about Mississippi is that the Meridian mall had ATMs from my mother's bank (which will remain nameless to protect her identity and the bank's identity). Seems innocent, right? Well this bank has no actual locations in Mississippi. So when the screen comes up that says "Unless you are a ___ Bank customer, you must pay a $2.00 fee," you almost definitely have to pay the fee. This may be okay in Bel-Air, but last time I checked, Mississippi was the poorest state in the country. Fortunately, the bank no longer has their ATMs in this mall. Not sure if they realized the oppressive nature of their ways or just found that it was no longer profitable.

So there's the four I's for you.

No comments: