Thursday, October 2, 2008

THOUGHTFUL THURSDAYS: WAGONWHEELS FELL OFF

Sorry guys, I lost the wagon wheels yesterday. It was my birthday and I was scrambling to get a scavenger hunt together and next thing I knew, I couldn't find my wagon's wheels. It's hard to talk about states when you're running without shoes... Catch my drift?

Today's thought is that in honor of a question on last night's hunt list, I'll let folks ponder some license plates. These are all the rare plates I listed last night. On the east coast, some of these would be pretty easy to find but in California, they're a bit more rare. So rare in fact that amongst five teams, not one person saw any of these plates. People looked hard too. Parking lot after parking lot after parking lot no one saw any of the following: Washington D.C., Rhode Island, Delaware, Guam, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and Alaska. In my time out here I've definitely seen DC (I showed up to town with a DC plate), R.I., Hawaii and Alaska. Don't think I've seen Delaware out here. Definitely haven't seen Guam out here. And I don't think I've ever seen Puerto Rico anywhere.

Interestingly although not one car in my building had any of these plates, I did see a Maybach in my building. I wonder if someone was renting it or if there's really someone who lives in my building driving a Maybach around town. Or perhaps a chauffeur lives in my building. Who knows. I should look into this. A car that costs at least $344,000 is something you don't see every day, even in Hollywood.

But now onto the plates

WASHINGTON D.C

I saw this plate all the time because I lived in DC. Plus, for about a year, I had a DC plate on my car.




RHODE ISLAND

Another plate I saw a ton, mostly when I lived in Rhode Island for 4 years. I never changed the plate on my car while living there, but usually when you're in a state you see the state's plate a bunch. Even in tiny Rhode Island.



DELAWARE

I grew up in Philly, which is about 25 minutes from Delaware, so I saw this one a bunch. It's probably the country's worst plate.



HAWAII

Several year back I began a round of the lovable "license plate" game. Hawaii was the very last plate I saw. I saw it in Louisiana of all places. The guy driving the car was going about 120 on a 70 MPH road.



ALASKA

I've seen this one a few times in a bunch of odd places. I think it's probably more common than Hawaii. Driving through British Columbia to get down here is a trek, but driving across an ocean is even more difficult.



GUAM

I didn't even realize they had cars in Guam. That's dumb of me. Guam is a real place, with roads and traffic lights and even stop signs I bet! Imagine that. I actually saw a Guam plate in a Wal-Mart parking lot in central Pennsylvania. This was near the tale end of the aforementioned license plate game (a game that lasted a good four months or so). At the time I only needed South Dakota and Hawaii. Guam wasn't even on my list. But there it was in Pennsylvania. That's even more water to drive across than Hawaii. Turns out I saw the South Dakota plate in the same lot.



PUERTO RICO

Never seen any of these.



Here's the greatest license plate website ever by the way: PLATES

I think I'm going to start playing this game again but to make it more exciting, I will only count a plate if I take a picture of it with my iPhone. Then, once I complete the game, I will have 50 state plus (plus any Mexican, Canadian or territory plates) I on my iPhone. That'll be pretty fucking great... Game begins now... I'll keep you updated...

No comments: