Monday, October 20, 2008

MUSIC MONDAYS: RANDOM ROUND-UP

-Amoeba once gave good money for CDs. Now they're just like any other used store. 3 or 4 bucks a disc, tops. I've all but given up taking music I want to sell there now that I've discovered the joys of selling on Amazon marketplace. But in recent weeks, I've had very few bites on my Amazon items. Probably because no one has 401k $ to fall back on anymore. Most of the items I have for sale would be considered "rare" albums. Do you think if I brought them to Amoeba with a preface like "these are rare and out-of-print. Please give me a good deal" it would help? Doubtful.

-Good news. The Zeppelin mini LP box set I pre-ordered is indeed the Japanese set, not some American reproduction. What this means is that it'll be great. Whenever the Americans try to do Mini LPs, they tend to fuck something up. Plus, whereas the original Japanese set retailed at about 300, this one is a mere 180. Still a lot of money, sure. But it's 12 discs, complete replicas with all the bonus goodies that came with the original releases. Overall not a terrible deal... Now I have to sell the two Zeppelin mini LPs I already have (see the first item on this post). In other Zeppelin news, Robert Plant is considering NOT going on tour with Zeppelin. Apparently Jack White may replace him. Interesting. I hope he brings Alicia Keys along.

-I need to get something to play my iPhone in the car. Anyone know anything good? I don't have a tape deck, so I can't use one of those handy converters. I'd have to do the radio transmitter option. Usually they all suck but perhaps someone knows of a good one. My pal Byron has a great one but it doesn't really work for the new iPhones, just the old ones.

-I have two extra Elton John tickets for this weekend in Vegas. Let me know if you're interested.

-Sometimes I crave the culinary equivalent of musical numbers. Like mmm wouldn't you just love to eat "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Tainted Love"?

-In honor of Bob Dylan's fantastic Bootleg Series Volume 8, I will begin listening to the entire bootleg series starting with volume 1 tonight. I currently don't have Volume 6 but I ordered it from Amazon for half off. It should be here by the time I reach it in my listening progression.

-When I write songs I find myself coming up with great verses but then mediocre choruses. Do any of my blog readers out there have a knack for a catchy hook? If so, maybe we can team up and change the face of music.

No comments: