Tuesday, October 28, 2008

TOPICAL TUESDAYS: RAIN RAIN GO AWAY

What's another few days after waiting my whole life, right? My baseball hating girlfriend thinks that baseball players are "wimps" for not playing in the rain. That's the current situation in the World Series, where the clinching Game 5 was put on suspension after the rain got a bit out of hand. Now they're tentatively set to resume the final 3.5 innings tomorrow night.

BULLSHIT!

They should've called this game long before the Rays tied it at 2-2 in the top of the sixth. Jen may think that not playing in the rain is reflective of how un-manly baseball players are, but that's obviously insane. The outfield has a great draining system so rain doesn't matter that much. But if you add a shit load of water to dirt it becomes mud. There were puddle on the field! Puddles. That's neither safe nor fair.

Anyway... here's the biggest problem. I was emotionally ready to win last night. I was in the mindset for celebration. I'm sure I'll get pumped up again but it suddenly feels out of reach. The intoxicating euphoria of the moment made me actually think that the Phillies could win The World Series. Now I've returned from this delusional land of prophetic trumpets and I'm reminded that in the past 25 years Philadelphia sports teams (in the major 4 sports) are 0 for 7 in Championship Series'.

Let me get a bit more specific, because I know you care SO much.

Since May 31, 1983

HOCKEY: Flyers are 0 for 3 in the Stanley Cup Finals (85,87,97)

FOOTBALL: Eagles are 0 for 1 in the Superbowl (that miserable 2005 loss to the Patriots... We kept it close but that's worth little once McNabb started puking).

BASKETBALL: The last team to win a championship! When I was 19 months old! In 2001 the Sixers made it back to the finals and lost to the Lakers.

BASEBALL: The Phillies were the first team to lose during the "Curse" era, losing the World Series to the Baltimore Orioles in Oct of 1983. They would go on to lose in 1993 as well on Joe Carter's demoralizing homerun off Mitch "The Wild Thing" Williams.

So there you have it... Not much reason to believe... Prove me wrong fate.

No comments: