Tuesday, October 21, 2008

TOPICAL TUESDAYS: BREAK FROM POLITICS

I'm going to be really bored at work when this election is over. But right now I need a break from politics. So how about I play anchor for a minute and report you the news.

In keeping with the regular evening news format, let me tell you about some LA Crime that happened in the last week near where I live and work.

A couple blocks from my house there was a mugging. It's not in an area I'd regularly walk though. There were also some aggravated assaults, but again not in the areas where I walk after dark.

Near my office... Wow, there was a rape. Oh my. That could've been a date rape. Not that that makes it any better... Wow that's really scary. Just a few blocks away, on Masselin, a street where Jen and I used to park all the time when she lived over there (and also where someone broken into my car and stole my navigation system). Horrifying... There was a mugging around there too... Damn, no where's safe in LA.

Speaking of which, let's see what crime has gone down in Beverly Hills. Hmm, let's see, nothing. What about some other exclusive LA areas? Hancock Park? Again, not much dangerous... So pretty much any area that looks like a suburb is mostly okay, but any area that looks like your typical city, even a slight bit, has the possibility of danger.

Fascinating.

Let's round up a few other LA neighborhoods, since I know my readers come from far and wide.

Compton: Nothing apparently. That seems a bit odd. Even Beverly Hills had a couple "thefts from vehicle." Not saying that Compton is more dangerous than Beverly Hills... Oh wait, it says "outside jurisdiction."

Watts: We have a homicide. In all my months of looking at crime maps, I haven't seen too many yellow dots. It's always sad. That's an actual person who was murdered and here they just appear as a yellow dot. I hope they got the funeral they deserved... I'm officially creeped out now.

Westwood: Aggravated assault

Venice: Some muggings... And a rape. Shit. Bad.

Koreatown: Surprisingly not too much. We have an aggravated assault and a mugging. Not great but Koreatown is quite large and doesn't have the best reputation.

Echo Park: Again, another neighborhood with a bad reputation. But like Koreatown, crime's been minimal over the past week.

Downtown: Lots of aggravated assaults. This could be normal incidents, but let's not forget how many homeless people live in downtown LA. There's a possibility that some of them are beating on non-homeless people and on each other. But let's also not forget that homeless people aren't all that popular. It's possible that homed people are beating the homeless. No one deserves that.

I can't look at this anymore. It's making me miserable. Let's move on with our news report.

Weather: A bit brisk, but mostly okay. Probably smog.

Sports: Phillies are in the world series!

And that concludes our Tuesday news.

No comments: