Monday, October 27, 2008

MUSIC MONDAYS: OH ELTON

I finally got the chance to see Elton John live. Some of you out there may laugh at Elton and I'll concede that he's a bit outrageous and does have some terrible songs. But he also has a good five or six classic or near-classic albums. This was the Vegas Red Piano show so it was a bit of a different experience. I knew David LaChapelle directed it but I had no idea that it would be just as much his show as Elton's. Outrageous is an understatement. I expected some cursing, maybe some nudity in the videos and what not. But an inflatable pair of titties that shot out stringy milk from the nipples? And phalli aplenty! Bananas and the like.

Elton sounded great as well. Usually you expect performers' voices to degrade into "death rattles" as they get older. Elton's voice actually did degrade considerably in the 80s due to growths on his vocal chords. But the surgery must've been successful because he boomed out the hits! And I must say, for a show that was pretty much all hits, he chose wisely. The highlight? Either a very extended Rocket Man (complete with outtakes from the video where Justin Timberlake plays Elton) or a heart-wrenching "Someone Saved My Life Tonight." SSMT was accompanied by one of the odder videos I've ever seen. It started with a guy playing a younger Elton, sticking his head in an oven. As Elton "dies," his spirit leaves his body and starts dancing with this creepy naked woman with a blonde fro and ice skating with a bear. At one point the creepy woman has a fire-cracker/sparkling thingy sticking out of her special region. I'm a pretty literary guy, but I'm not quite sure what to take from this one.

Now, I have to cut this short... The Phillies are on... Up in the World Series 3-1

WILL THIS BE THE DAY?

I haven't seen a Philly team win a chamionship ever. The Sixers won in 1983, but I was 1.5...

Oh my. I'm nervous.

No comments: