Monday, August 18, 2008

MUSIC MONDAYS: I NOW OWN THE SET

As loyal readers may remember, I've been wanting this Parliament mini LP set forever. After seeing the individual Parliament mini lps goings on eBay for anywhere from 45 to 150 bucks each, I thought I should probably just buy the damn thing. The initial idea was to buy it for 400 and then sell a few that I didn't want as much to recoup my loss. So I ordered it from a secret nook buried deep in Amaon. But then as I thought about the set coming my way, I realized I couldn't sell part of it. Yes, 400 is far too much for this sort of thing, but it's an item I'll cherish. Should I sell other items I own that I don't cherish as much? Sure it's hard to cherish an item that I don't yet possess, but I know myself well. If I don't prize the set, it probably means that George Clinton personally killed one of my family members. So I began to sell some CDs that held a mild-moderate importance but nothing that I would miss too much. A week in, my internet garage sale is going okay. I'm about halfway there.

Last Thursday the set came and the drool began to flow freely from my mouth. I told Jen that she'd have to sleep on the floor so the mini LP set could get the bed. She's very jealous of this set. If you were to ask her, she'd say that she doesn't approve of me having it because it costs so much money. But in truth, it's really because she thinks I'll leave her for the set. This is a valid fear I guess. Jen is a lovable gal with many jokes and smiles to offer at all times. But does she come with a mini t-shirt iron on? Does she come with a mini comic book detailing the adventures of Sir Noise D'Void of Funk? I think not. That's why it's a close call... Hmmm I guess I can keep both.

Sure, I've wasted all my savings and my future children's college funds on mini LPs, but at least I think I'm finished with these tiny replicas for awhile. Maybe I can avoid debt!

In other music news, I've discovered the joy of Pandora for the iPhone. I can't figure out how to change the names of my stations though. As much as I love Neil Young radio and Funkadelic radio, I'd like to change James' all-time favorite Newsom radio to "Hirsute Folk Radio." Not that I think Joanna Newsom is hairy, but I'm sure the rest of her band is. When hippies learn to write songs instead of jam on their instruments, they become freak folkers. That's the recipe.

Current Music Monday listening: Low. Not the band, the album.

No comments: