Wednesday, August 27, 2008

WAGONWHEEL WEDNESDAYS: KENTUCKY

I couldn't even tell you how excited I was for Kentucky. For one, my entry to Kentucky meant I no longer had to fear for my life in Indiana (in case you missed that entry). But more importantly, I could finally have some REAL Kentucky Fried Chicken and see what the hype was about. I didn't want to go to a KFC though. But because this was before the days of iphones and yelp, I had to settle for something accessible to the main interstate. So I tried out Lee's Fried Chicken. According to the story on the wall, Lee and Colonel Sanders developed the KFC recipe together and then Lee branched out on his own... I find this hard to believe now that I think about it. After all, wasn't Colonel Sanders a fictional creation? Just some actor who looked good in a planter's outfit? Okay... I looked it up.... COLONEL SANDERS IS THE REAL DEAL! He's not a Ronald McD. No way. This is a real chicken entrepreneur.

Back to the actual chicken. It was pretty good. Not great but okay. When I got back to Philly, I looked up Lee's Fried Chicken to see if any had made it North. Turns out there was a Lee's in Philly, right in a gas station on Lancaster Ave (on the West Philly side) appropriately titled Bullets. When I went to go, the place was shut down. Predictably there were bullet holes. Ah, gotta love West Philly.

Other than chicken, I didn't do much in Kentucky. I spent the night in Louisville. It almost looked like a mini Philadelphia. At one point I thought I was about to get robbed by a bunch of drunk frat boys. I made it into the hotel in the nick of time! Other than that, there's little to say about Kentucky. Louisville is home to the Louisville Slugger museum, which as you can see below boasts a pretty damn impressive bat. That's something I guess.

No comments: