Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TOPICAL TUESDAYS: EVERY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RESIDENT'S BLOG ENTRY

EARTH-QUAKE, EVERYBODY JUMP UP AND DOWN... EARTHQUAKE! THERE'S A BRAND NEW GROOVE GOING ROUND!

Okay fine, those aren't the lyrics to Housequake, but those are the lyrics to my Earthquake song. Please don't sue me, Prince. I'm sorta covering your song and making it my own, like you did with Creep.

But yes, today there was an earthquake in LA. Not a major one, but definitely the biggest one that's hit since I've moved here. I work on the 11th floor of a building, so I really felt it. Oh yes I did. The rollers they put under this building are no joke. It's like what it must be for a thumb sized man going through airport security.

I'm happy to say I was the first one out of the building. I hopped right up and went to the stairwell. Then down I went. A lot of people just stayed in their seats. I guess earthquakes are normal. But here's the thing, you shouldn't assume it's an earthquake! If the building's on rollers, it'll sway from an explosion too won't it? Maybe not. Nonetheless, I have some great survival extincts. Jen? Not so much. I told her that's her white blood. Luckily she has me to drag her out of the burning building.

Speaking of burning, once I got outside, I was pretty shocked to find the landscape positively quiescent. As I conquered each step, I prepared myself for horrific images. Charred cars and bloody shards swirling through the air. Oh well. They say that for the next 24 hours, there's a 5% chance that the big one can hit. Or at least a bigger one.

I hope my home is alright. Jen's afraid that the toys are all over the place. Perhaps. I know my pet owls are running amok. Toddlers love any excuse to act out.

Wow, this is like the post of two sentence paragraphs.

Maybe I should

Really

Drive

This

Point home.

Ah, poetry. It's all about how you place it on the p
....................................................a
.....................................................g
......................................................E



See what these quakes have done to my brain! Here's an interesting quake fact: unlike the movies, the earth doesn't crack and separate during an earthquake. I'm sure some old roads crumble a bit, but the pavement won't swallow you whole. A building could land on your head, or if you're a percussionist, a cowbell and some castanets. But you won't journey to the center of the earth.

The
CENTER
of the

.........EARTH...

No comments: